Saturday, October 23, 2010

Is there Dog Poison in Your Pocket?

There are common items that people carry with them all the time that are toxic to canines. If ingested, a large dog could become seriously ill and a small breed could die. Check the list—then check your purse, pockets and countertops and make sure your pet is safe!

Cigarettes—Just as the nicotine affects the human heart and circulatory system, an ingested cigarette could cause several conditions in your pet including an elevated heart rate, a drop in blood pressure, seizures, respiratory failure, vomiting and diarrhea. In severe cases your pet could die from the stress caused by the nicotine.

Pennies—check your change. Pennies minted before 1982 were made of 95% zinc. If your dog happens to swallow a few older cents, it could have kidney damage. High levels of zinc can damage the kidneys, intestines and red blood cells. After 1982, the zinc percentage was significantly reduced and is less of a concern.

Chocolate—methylxanthines theobromine and caffeine are the two substances found in cocoa that are toxic to dogs. An amount as small as a Hershey’s Kiss, can cause vomiting, seizures, tremors, coma or even the death your pet. White chocolate and any other chocolate product is also toxic. So keep Fido away from cakes, cookies and hot chocolate too.

Sugarfree Gum sweetened with xylitol—Trident, Stride and Orbit gum are a few of the popular brands using this sweetener. The product is safe for humans but if your dog gets a hold of a piece, the results can be life threatening. Xylitol causes a drop in blood sugar in canines that can lead to depression, loss of coordination and seizures in as little as 30 minutes. If you suspect your dog has gotten into any product with this sweetener, bring to your veterinarian immediately.

NoDoz and other energy products—It might be the pick me up you need but if your dog ingests any medication with caffeine or that leftover energy drink, the results are similar to if your dog ate chocolate.

Copyright 2010 OldDogPaws

1 comment:

  1. Our dog has been known to get into anything and everything. Great reminder that these items can be toxic.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.